Tuesday, April 26, 2011

TV Drama

TV Drama: does it compare with literature and plays? I think I will disagree on this one, for when I was watching "Modern Family," and I have a few favorite shows of my own that I like to watch weekly, I did not see the artistry that usually comes with literature. I feel it takes a different kind of language to write good literature, and it doesn't transfer well over television. Sure there have been movies made from books such as Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice that have been great films, and follow closely to the book. However, to write a television script and go backwards to call it literature, then that is a long shot. For instance, Modern Family is a good show full of drama, comedy, and a good story line; however, I wouldn't call that literature. To be literature I fill the theme needs to be complex and thought out in depth, but Modern Family barely skims the surface of complexity. Don't get me wrong I really enjoyed the show and the story line was enjoyable to watch, but when digging deep and trying to translate the theme of the show, I found it lacking in-depth and the characters to be oddly predictable.  So, maybe the next class will change my mine, but we will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment