Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Thoughts on The Glass Menagerie

After concluding "The Glass Menagerie" I have decided on a few key points from my own personal opinion. AMANDA- I generally love anything to do with the South and Southern culture, but she is a disgrace to all Southern Debutants. She reminds me a lot of Mrs. Bennett from Pride and Prejudice, for she is trying to pawn her daughter off to the highest bidder or any bidder at all, and is simply annoying. She is trying way to hard to impress Jim, and is putting a great demand on her son, Tom, to be the main supplier of the family. TOM - I have mixed emotions regarding Tom, for he is a dreamer and just wishes to live his own adventure and life. However, he does seem unmotivated, and lacks the drive to make something of himself at home. Instead he abandons Laura and his mom and goes off traveling. JIM - I liked Jim a lot even thought he for didn't not tell the family he was married at first. He did a big favor to Laura by bring her out of her shell and giving her a real confidence boost. He took a shy grown woman, and actually made her live a little. I think he would be my favorite character from the story, and he does seem the most realistic. Laura - I feel Laura has grown a lot after meeting Jim again and talking to him. I am hoping she will now know that she can be social and have normal conversations with people, then go out and actually live a real life outside of their fire trap of a home. Jim really gave her a chance to be normal and live a full live after that conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment