Tuesday, January 25, 2011

TRUE LOVE: One thing poetry has going for it!

As always I was a bit skeptical about starting the poetry unit, for it has never been one of my favorites.  I generally get confused on some of the poems we have to read, because the structure and the rhythm can throw me off trying to figure out the main idea.  However, we learned in class this week that we should read the poem and understand it on our own terms, and figure out what it means to us as an individual.  Therefore, as I read through the text of "True Love," one poem stuck out among the rest --True Love: By: Wislawa Szymborska (page 577 in our literature book for those who are following along). The poem follows as if she is just thinking all of this in her head. Asking questions about love, being sarcastic, making remarks about how pathetic the world would think they are, if they could actually understand the mockery and logic behind love.  Personally, I do not like the poem, because I agree or disagree with the writer, but I like it because she question's the reasons for love.  The fact that she question's whether it is necessary or not, and puts that into a poem is very interesting--I like it! So she may have just converted the originally unconverted poet 'disliker.'


"True love. Is it normal, is it serious, is it practical? What does the world get from two people who exist in a world of their own?"    -Wislawa Szymborska

No comments:

Post a Comment